Commercial Egg production

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Colored Egg Farmer, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Anyone have any questions.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are you a commercial egg producer?

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Not millions But yes have 3 buildings 60,000 chickens while i own personally 650.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What kind of living conditions do those 60,000 hens live in? Battery cages?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

What may be helpful, is pictures if possible, to help dispel some of the "horrid" and "deathly" images that are spread by various groups on the internet.

6. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Check out Colored Eggs website! Awesome site and how far are you from State College PA? Do you have roosters running with the hens as well? Is it possible to hatch eggs from your farm?
    [​IMG]

7. Colored Egg Farmer

Yes But I can tell you one thing There in a lot better shape than when we got them from the other farm. They were 1 year old when we got them and are going to save them from the stew pot for about 1 year to 6 months. The Hens are well taken care of. They are in one of our newest buildings. I Have a soft spot for chickens so I'm always checking the temperatures. And also they get a good breeze when all of our vents are down. plus we got about 10- 15 large fans sucking the air out and replaceing the air. Here is a recent Story. The main water pump decided to die on us and we tore the place apart just to find a motor to run the pumps. We found it but it wasn't the right part. We risked ruining a very expensive motor just to give the chickens some water.

8. Colored Egg Farmer

I can tell you one thing we were robed by one of the animal right groups. But i have ot hand it to them they try to protect the animals and i give them that. I hate all the chickens pressed in a small cage. As in the post above we make sure that our chickens are well cared for. They have acturally started growing there feathers back since we got them.

9. Tutter

Tutter Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Yes, that would be excellent; I'd like to see photos, too. Just because we don't have places with that many chickens near us.

So, you say that 650 are yours. Does someone else, like a company, own the buildings and land, and then you buy in? Or do you buy hens and house them there? Or is it your company?

Thanks!

10. KLH2010

KLH2010 Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Do you have any pictures of your facilities? I haven't seen much of the industry side of things and have always been curious about what the facilities are like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: