Commercial farm chick(en) help needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kingfrodo, Jan 19, 2014.

1. kingfrodo

kingfrodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    I posted this in the meat bird forum and although I received lots of views I didnt get a single response. I am at a total loss of what the "right" thing to do is.

Here is what I posted:

there is a commerical chicken house on my little county road and last week two of the birds escaped the truck that was to haul them off to be processed.

The super nice farmer guy came by the house today and asked if I wanted them b/c if not he is required to dispatch them and put them in the incinerator. [​IMG]

I said sure. I didnt really know what else to say. I now have two fat chickies in the isolation room. They are young enough they still make the baby chick peeps but they have feathers on their bodies, although you can see near the rear and under belly they are totally missing or thin.

My question is this. If they pass the health check CAN they go on to be normal chickens or are they such abnormal birds that the humane thing is to kill them?

I am fairly certain one is a cockeral and he will for sure go to freezer camp if he is. I hope they both end up being hens.

What do you guys think? I've never had a meat bird so I dont know anything about them. Mr. Chuck said they are cobb crosses?? I think that's what he said.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    There are a few who have had some success raising this kind of chicken (bred specifically to grow really fast and butcher at a young age) for a longer term with relative health, but i would say that most people will tell you that since they are specifically bred to butcher, it is most humane to send them to freezer camp. They won't be normal, and the hen, i'm fairly certain will never lay eggs. These chickens are bred only as a cross. They don't reproduce themselves.

Disclaimer: i have not ever raised these kinds of birds; i am just sharing with you my understanding of their situation.

Good luck.

3. kingfrodo

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    thank you. I believe you confirmed what I already knew but just didnt want to admit.

I have wanted to grow meat birds and butcher one day....Just didnt know that day would come so soon. [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    [​IMG]Have you butchered before. There are some good guides on this site that could be helpful. I can look for the one that walked me through my first time, if you like.

5. kingfrodo

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    I've not butchered a chicken before. [​IMG]

I am a born and bred hog farm girl and I've butchered hogs and deer.

My BF's hubby raises quail and butchers so I think I'll get him to help me the first time. I know how to in theory but haven't actually processed a bird yet.

thanks for the offer. [​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Hands on experienced instruction is always the best. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by