Commercial Hens Will No Longer Be Starved But They Will Still Suffer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barry Natchitoches, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Activist propaganda removed after multiple reports

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I'm crying reading this. This is why I cannot eat commercial eggs or meat of any kind. I appreciate your sharing this. Have a blessed Thanksgiving. Nancy

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

You know better than to use the "P" word on this site. Even if you put spaces in it to get past the filters.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Before posting on this one I will warn all to be very cautious in their wording as we know from long experience this is a VERY controversial and often overly sensationalized topic.

The wording in this one is very well done to elicit extreme emotion and show some of the worst case scenarios while making it look like ALL commercial facilities operate in such a manner. If one takes the time to check the references and read the FULL TEXT of the literature and people cited you will find the quotes are often taken out of context with the documents. So as always take extreme literature with a grain of salt.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Kurtis, you are correct. ... but whoever wrote it, did it so you would cry.

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    I think education is fine.. People should know what it takes to make a $0.98 dozen of eggs.. How far livestock is pushed in industrial agriculture. I personally do feel these outbreaks of disease are 100% correlated to the practices of industrial agriculture.

However one can not have their cake and eat it too.. If people do not want these practices to be used they need to be prepared to pay for it! Our eggs we produce cost more per dozen just to produce than industrial eggs sell for!
    So for eggs alone one can expect a 200% or more increase in the cost to produce. I am all for it.. I think that some of the garbage that is passed of as food in this country is disgusting. It may be "cheap" but the cost is high somewhere.. Either in its effects on our health, or the sustainable factor.

The article seemed to focus on the pecking nature of chickens... I some times wonder if that action/effect of pecking contributes to making free range or pasture raised poultry's eggs that much healthier.. I am contemplating, that it is not just the good things they eat, but the relaxing natural action of foraging that contributes to the nutritional superiority of the free range/pastured egg???

ON

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Totally agree w/O.N....most people in our population would find these practices horrid, deplorable, cruel, etc., etc., etc. However, these same people would be outraged if, due to accomodations/renovations made to facilities for more humane treatment, they were suddenly being asked to pay $3 for a carton of eggs rather than a dollar. And then of course many other food prices would jump if they contained egg. [​IMG] The "low" costs that are afforded us are part of why many people are willing to turn a blind eye to those conditions/practices...

8. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    In the U.S. people pay way less of a percentage of their income on food than many other countries, we have come to expect cheap eggs and meat, and government subsidies for big agriculture has made it possible. (Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" explains this in a very readable way.)

We also throw away something like a quarter of our food. Maybe we would respect and cherish every morsel instead of wasting so much if we had to pay a bit more. Pay $3 or $4 for the free-range eggs, or the organic produce, and then don't buy the soda and cookies. Doctor bills will be reduced as well.

At my house, as I'm sure at most of other BYCers, not a bit of food goes in the trash. Between the dog, the chickens, and the compost bin it gets used up/recycled.

P.S.
    Factory farming sucks!!!

9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

This is an opinion piece published by and ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST GROUP cloaked as a Scientific Article.

Based on the reactions here the article is meeting it objective to tug at one's heart strings.

Jim

10. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    Then perhaps one should visit factory farms to see for themselves, see if the conditions the animals are in will tug at heartstrings.

Oh wait , they won't let anyone see inside those chicken houses...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by