Common behaviors of silkie roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I'm not having problems with him, in fact Skippy probably thinks I'm a pest. I pick him up, give him treats, call his name, massage the back of his head which puts him into a weird trance where he holds still for a little while, feed him greens... He's like my little lap chicken. The hen we used to have was quite the opposite of Skippy, mean little thing she was.
    Skippy is just too nice. We keep him with young chicks and he never hurts them. Sometimes he allows the small adventurous ones to jump on his back, or they will go under him for warmth or playing around. Skippy doesn't struggle like reg. roosters do when you handle him. He just clucks a bit. And he is well around 7 months.
    Is this normal....?
    One time a young new hampshire red pullet, a really tiny one, was pecking at his comb. She broke the tissue and continued pecking and he didn't do anything! I seperated him though and cleaned up the wound. He never does pecking order pecks at them either, mainly he drags his wing and calls them for food.

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Seems normal to me as mine are just as friendly! [​IMG] But, I have run across a few silkie roos that were hatchery chicks....nasty little devils!!!

3. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Mine is just like that except that he is so timid I have to feed him separately from the other chickens. He just won't approach them.
    I think the gentleness is just a breed trait so don't worry. I would pay to see an aggressive silkie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by