1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Common for broody Egyptian Geese to rip off most of their feathers ?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by chickenzoo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My Egyptians goose is sitting on 4 eggs, whether or not they are hers I don't know. I noticed her neck looked skinny and realized she somehow ripped off a lot of her feathers and stuck them in the nest. Then she did it to her back........ so she has fuzz on her neck and a bare back. I sure hope those are fertile Egyptian eggs she is sitting on....... she looks horrible. My White male & the Reg male take turns laying beside her... they better watch out, she may pluck them too.......... It is hot here, and the pond we are at has dried up... but there she sits... poor girl.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Never had a goose, but I know chickens do this. It "feathers the nest," whether to make the nest better for chicks or to give them more direct contact with the eggs while setting. I would think it would be common to all or most birds.

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    yes mine did the same thing. if shes out in the sun you might need to put some shade over her.

4. GoatMilker20

GoatMilker20 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe They Are Too Hot And Tryin To Cool Off? I Seen Chickens The Same Way.

Chris

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yep, Common for the Egyptians and shelducks to do. They can get pretty ragged looking but always come back to normal. Mine got bad. I used to worry about it too but dont even give it a thought now.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

We had a bad storm and the eggs are gone........... 2 days ago i picked them up, and although they looked like something had developed they were very very light weight. Poor girl, all that work. Well at least she will be more experienced next season. [​IMG] I was really hoping for some babies......................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by