Common pine board shavings??

Boo Kitty

Songster
7 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Carrollton, Ga
I'm a woodworker. I have a TON of common, untreated, pine board shavings...not dust. May I use this with my deep litter method? It's actually a little softer than Tractor Supply pine. I keep my dust in a separate dust collection system. TIA 🙂

20220107_123550.jpg

Yes. Any shavings from untreated wood -- except for Eastern Red Cedar with it's irritating and possibly toxic aromatic oils should be fine.

Walnut (and *maybe* some other nut woods), should be avoided if you're composting the bedding for the garden or landscape because of the juglone. It's OK for the chickens, but bad for the garden.

Also the shavings/sawdust from plywood and other wood/glue composites should be avoided because of the glues.

I wouldn't use such fine-textured material for a chick brooder because they might eat too much of it, but it should be good in the coop and run.

Yes. Any shavings from untreated wood -- except for Eastern Red Cedar with it's irritating and possibly toxic aromatic oils should be fine.

Walnut (and *maybe* some other nut woods), should be avoided if you're composting the bedding for the garden or landscape because of the juglone. It's OK for the chickens, but bad for the garden.

Also the shavings/sawdust from plywood and other wood/glue composites should be avoided because of the glues.

I wouldn't use such fine-textured material for a chick brooder because they might eat too much of it, but it should be good in the coop and run.
Thanks - this is great info to have <3

Oh Good, thank you.
My husband splits tons of wood for our wood burning stoves & was asking me if Oak Shavings would be an okay alternative.

Back
Top Bottom