Common quails - bloody and protruding anus

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sandy321, May 4, 2017.

1. sandy321

sandy321 New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Hello.

I am new to raising quails, but I have these baby quails for a few weeks now.
    They are eating the starter feed and have clean water.
    They were all fine until this 3rd week when they have just started to get feathers at the tip of their wings.

Recently, some are getting a bloody anus. It isn't bad until one of the other quails keeps pecking at it. The anus protrudes and is really red. Their poop is just a brown splat (or thicker, almost a pellet but more watery).

They hardly eat and drink, so I hand feed them, but even then, they don't eat or drink. They just stand there with their eyes closed and wake up to walk around every few minutes, but they never touch their food. After a 3-5 days, they die.

I have read some threads here and there. Some have suggested to put the ones with a bloody anus in a warm bath for a few minutes. They have also suggested to separate those with the normal ones. My quails still die after some days.

I don't know what to do and how to prevent it from happening.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the quail folks can help you out. I'm thinking some illness is going through them that makes eating uncomfortable for them - maybe like people feeling nauseated.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I would use the helpful link CTKen provided you.

5. sandy321

sandy321 New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Thank you.
    I've posted in that forum, but haven't had a response yet. :(

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Sorry, I wish I could help you but I don't know a thing about quail except that they are birds......

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under sandy321 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope the folks on the Quail Forum were able to assist.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by