common sense where has it gone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smilingcat, Sep 9, 2012.

1. smilingcat

smilingcat Songster

Jun 1, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Was at a feed store this morning, looking for few things for our new puppy, some bird seeds for wild birds for our property... I always like to drop in their "chicken room" to see what they have and overheard a couple asking, "Well we are planning to keep our chicken underneath our deck. Do you think chicken need sunlight?"... "And how soon will they begin to lay?"
    I know the gal who runs the chicken room and she looked at me and I returned her look with [​IMG][​IMG]

Seriously?! What do yo do with uninformed people? I'm just appalled by their thinking... My birds provide me with food. eggs and meat. In return, I give them a comfortable life, good feed, clean water, safe place, and so on. You need to take a good care of what you have.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    WOW [​IMG]

3. cary 1973

cary 1973 Songster

if i was that lady i would not of sold them one sigle chick and told them go home and research. shoot before i got my girls I read all about chicken care and what to expect. though i was prepared even then I was not I was still learing and still learning.

4. ...under the porch?...does it need light?...really? I thought raising animals was not a very hard thing to do. I guess not everyone has common sense.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I read through "Raising Chickens for Dumbies" twice before I got my first 6 birds. Now I have 7, added a cockerel, and I am still learning as I go. But it is fun!!

6. cary 1973

cary 1973 Songster

I was on the dumb side when I hot chicks I did all the research on chickens what tidy needed in a coop food ext did little research on baby chicks knee they needed heat light but did all mu main learning the night I got them and little bit had pasty butt then I was up all migrant researching babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by