common sense where has it gone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smilingcat, Sep 9, 2012.

1. smilingcat

smilingcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Was at a feed store this morning, looking for few things for our new puppy, some bird seeds for wild birds for our property... I always like to drop in their "chicken room" to see what they have and overheard a couple asking, "Well we are planning to keep our chicken underneath our deck. Do you think chicken need sunlight?"... "And how soon will they begin to lay?"
    I know the gal who runs the chicken room and she looked at me and I returned her look with [​IMG][​IMG]

Seriously?! What do yo do with uninformed people? I'm just appalled by their thinking... My birds provide me with food. eggs and meat. In return, I give them a comfortable life, good feed, clean water, safe place, and so on. You need to take a good care of what you have.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    WOW [​IMG]

3. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

if i was that lady i would not of sold them one sigle chick and told them go home and research. shoot before i got my girls I read all about chicken care and what to expect. though i was prepared even then I was not I was still learing and still learning.

4. milo1108

milo1108 Chillin' With My Peeps

...under the porch?...does it need light?...really? I thought raising animals was not a very hard thing to do. I guess not everyone has common sense.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I read through "Raising Chickens for Dumbies" twice before I got my first 6 birds. Now I have 7, added a cockerel, and I am still learning as I go. But it is fun!!

6. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was on the dumb side when I hot chicks I did all the research on chickens what tidy needed in a coop food ext did little research on baby chicks knee they needed heat light but did all mu main learning the night I got them and little bit had pasty butt then I was up all migrant researching babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by