Common???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mahan5175, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Mahan5175

Mahan5175 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    My br roo only has one wattle.... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is this common??

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Yes. From experience I have found a lot of cockrells grow uneven waddles. It will grow even soon. How old is he? One of my flocks has a bunch of uneven waddles. They are 5 months old.

3. Mahan5175

Jul 28, 2014
    Ok thanks!! He is around 4 months.

4. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Cool! He will even out soon. I almost butchered a roo because I thought he was deformed. Then I researched it. BYC has so many helpful people. I am learning everyday.

5. Mahan5175

Jul 28, 2014
    Haha I know what you mean... I thought something was wrong with him, he's the leader of the pack and the biggest one. I was really hoping there was nothing wrong with him. I am kind of growing fond of him, we got a straight run and go figure we are left with 7 roosters and 5 hens, so we are picking which roo we want to keep, it's either going to be him or my glw Roo. The rest are going to be a chore for my hubby. I fatten them up and he gets the dirty job.

6. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I hope that plan works for you. My hubby butchered 2 with my assistance & then decided since he has now "shown me" that it's now my job. Somehow a lot of things around here go that way![​IMG]
    Sounds like you have better odds than I do with your straight run. I hatched out 21(or 22-can't remember) eggs from our flock this spring. I have 17 roosters running around out there. It's almost time....and I am ready to do it myself just to get it done. We fed a bunch of roosters thru the winter last year. Not doing that this year.

7. Mahan5175

Jul 28, 2014
    Lol I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up happening... It does seem like that's the way it goes... Hopefully I can pull a trick or two out it my sleeve and get him to continue the butchering..

Ahhh 17 out of 21???? I would be willing to do it myself as well!!

8. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I am wondering if the temp in the incubator had anything to do with it...kept it at 99.9 until last day then turned it up 1 degree as instructed by the farmer I got my 1st 6hens from. She has hatched out many chicks. But I am doing extensive research before I incubate eggs next year. Live and Learn. Right?!

9. Mahan5175

Jul 28, 2014
    Exactly! After getting that many roosters in May... My husband went and bought 4 more in aug. that will be my first trick that I play... I asked that he order all hens... He insisted it was a good idea... Though I am excited to see what the new roosters look like and see which other one I want to keep, like you I don't want to feed more through the winter...

10. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Maybe I can put it off until Halloween and make a haunted house.......................hmmmmmmmmmmm![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by