Communal Nest Box is finished......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by orchidchick, Feb 2, 2009.

1. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    and installed, and has met with the girls approval. There were three eggs in it the next morning! Now I just hope it doesn't turn into a bedroom for the teenagers when they move into the big coop! There has been one day when there has been an egg over at the other end, so maybe there has been two of the hens in it at once, or maybe someone's egg got tossed...who knows! They have been pretty much in a pile with the two golf balls, though. For those of you who haven't seen the earlier post, I naturally had to get a few more chickens, so of course, had to expand out. Next will be the run, I suppose.........

Orchidchick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edited to swap pic

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I like it!!! My husband tried to talk me into doing a communal nest box and I wouldn't have it! Now, after learning that they almost all want to use the same nest box, I wish I had. Love that second pic. Your hen looks like it's thinking, "What??!! Are you just going to stand there and gawk?! Go away! A girl needs a little privacy. Geesh!"

3. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Yep, one end is the juvie dorm! that's what I was afraid of. Although, the teens are thilled that while the hens are laying it's the only time they aren't being chased down!

So far so good, tho!

Orchidchick

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I am making a communal nesting box too!! I plan on a 18inch wide box for 4-5 dutch bantys.

5. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Really nice.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I looked on your BYC page & I LOVE [​IMG] Your coop [​IMG] Its soooo adorable!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  7. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Thanks! The nest box is made from some leftover teak scraps from a friend's boat modifications so it should weather well here in Florida. It's 30" long, 16" high at the peak, 12" high at the back.

The best part about the coop is that I can reach everything (including the chickens) pretty easy as my back is so bad. That was the hardest thing in deciding what I wanted. When I saw that cattle feeder...I knew that was it!

Orchidchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by