Communicating with chickens- via whistle, etc? Esp. for hawk alert!?

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
Has anyone tried to figure out chicken language enough to communicate with your flock? I don't have a roo (can't have one in the city), but we live next to a park, and we have hawks circling overhead these days with the advent of spring.

I'd like to be able to communicate with the chickens more -

I found this website, including links to the aerial alarm and the ground alarm calls that chickens (roosters, mostly) give to communicate.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...proves-they-are-brighter-than-we-thought.html

Any other resources like this?

Interesting! I was amazed the other day when my 4 girls saw a hawk circling and ran in the coop right away. Sometimes they are smarter than we think they are!

My girls make a low, twiddly noise (hard to describe) when a hawk flies over. I can imitate it and when a hawk flies over and I make the noise they all stop what they are doing and look up. Pretty cool. Although they seem less nervous about a hawk when I am sitting out there. I have also noticed that when a vulture flies over they don't even flinch. They are smart, no doubt in my mind.

That was very informative. Thanks for sharing. If it was on the internet, there's hopefully more info. I know they have different clucks for certain things. This just confirmed it.

i can call them to me by clucking excitedly and make them run to the coop if i make it more deep sounding and angry...my family calls me the chicken whisperer. next im going to get them to run after me like in shrek 3...ahhh cant wait for summer. if it works itll be hilarious with me running around the yard will 10 chickens running after me( im 19 and have a football player build)...

I whisel real loud and they do pay attentions when I do it.
lol.png

Do you know who Charo is? She is a Mexican entertainer who's been around forever.

She would make a noise that was a trilling tongue roll, and the sound my girls make to warn one another is like a high-pitched, low-volume version of that.

I remember a site that had all sorts of animal calls and warnings; I'll see if I can find it and whether there's anything comparable. You might just try rolling your tongue at them like that, "RRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaah!!Oy Oy!" thing you hear in Mexican Fiesta music (sorry I'm ignorant of the appropriate terminology).

Back
Top Bottom