community nest box with single center entrance...any pics?

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
I've heard a few people mention a type of community nest box with a single entry hole rather than just being wide open ( hopefully that makes sense
hmm.png
-think of it this way-they go in the hole and then have to turn left or right to find a spot to lay-sort of like a hallway). I can't seem to find a single picture of this and I'm very tempted to try it out (I want to avoid the "everybody laying in one or two boxes" syndrome
tongue.png
and I also want to keep the boxes darker and maybe keep my girls from screaming because someone else has "their" spot
roll.png
) So, anyone have a picture ? Also, if you use one like this, how well does it work?

Our community box has two openings. So far, only 7 of 16 chickens are laying. Out of 7, only 2 prefer to use the community box. It is a long story, but we have a couple movable, more "normal" nest boxes around up high on the poop boards by the roosts, and those are more popular at the moment. We chose a community nest box for exactly the reasons you listed.

I haven't given up on the community nest box. I had one person suggest maybe it was too dark, and another say there was nothing wrong with it, - that different chickens prefer different types of boxes. I'll be interested to see which box the other 9 prefer when they finally start laying!

47066_p4100003.jpg

47066_p4100004.jpg

Obviously, the photos are before we had the chickens (so clean everywhere!).

wow...what lovely nest boxes
smile.png
I'm going for a little more darkness (hoping it will help a little since there is a window across from the nest boxes-though it's not all built yet, so it may not be that big of an issue-also my girls really get to screaming when it comes to laying spots. I'm worried my neighbors will soon be a bit mad with the early morning screeching
sad.png
)

I have a community nest, but not like you're describing.
Mine is the kind that are built to to open outside (top hinged) the coop for egg gathering, but obviously they are open to the inside. It's essentially 3 boxes that aren't divided in any way... just one LONG box, all open entirely in front.

I don't have just a one small hole for them to enter.

They also all STILL want to use *one* spot it it.
roll.png

Maybe it'd be different if it was the 'hallway' design like you're describing, but mine will all still squabble/wait for that one small spot in the 3+ foot long box...
roll.png

For a few days once, I tried putting some eggs in some other spots hoping to coax them into using more areas in it.
At least one hen just rolled every darn egg back to the favored spot.
roll.png

I give up! Take a number and wait for your spot...
tongue.png

haha...yep one of my ladies also moved all the dummy eggs to one side LOL. I used a community nest box on my first coop (it started as a divided one, but I just removed the dividers to see if it would change things). I may just try out an open community nest box on my new coop and if they still bicker, I may put a front on it. I'll just have to experiment :>

darn...why are hens so stubborn ?
barnie.gif
I'm still tempted to try this style of nest box though...we'll just have to see I guess
idunno.gif

BTW- Cargo, I just LOVE you hoop coop!!!!! It's lovely
love.gif

Last edited:
I've a community box (I don't have any pictures) that is long enough to fit three at a time with a central entrance. The only time I've ever seen more than one in there was the day I installed it. They crammed in to check it out. They all lay in the same spot on the left hand side of it, one at a time. If the nest is occupied the may lay in the north west corner of the coop b/c it's pretty dark and cozy in the morning. They will not use the community nest at the same time though.

Mine was a real quick thrown together thing that doesn't seem to work like I had hoped. I was actually thinking about changing it. Good luck, I hope it works for you.

Last edited:
BTW- Cargo, I just LOVE you hoop coop!!!!! It's lovely

Thanks! The hens seem to like it as well. Can't wait for spring so I can tractor them around.​

Back
Top Bottom