Community Nest Boxes - Let me see 'em!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DarkWolf, May 1, 2009.

1. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    You see alot of nest boxes on here, but it's hard to pinpoint those who use community nests and even harder to find pictures of them.

Post up your community nest box pictures and tell me why you like them (or why the birds like them) better than the standard 12x12's.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    [​IMG]

Why a shoe box? I have no clue [​IMG]

3. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    LOL.. That's one I didn't expect to see.. Guess the eagles on the side are for boosting egos?

4. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Yep [​IMG]

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of you may have seen my refurbished galvanized 40 year old nest boxes with the round entrance holes. I think if I built new ones made of wood I would cut round entrance holes. It would look different and as the second pic shows it works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Those are nice nest boxes, indeed.. but they're not a community box. [​IMG]

7. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    I would like to hear the benefits, if any, of the community nest boxes. I made the dividers in my nest box romovable.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    here's my community nest box. It's about 23 inches long and 16 inches deep. I didn't have room for 2 boxes, and at this point, I'm glad I didn't bother. I've had 3 girls all laying at once - it was crowded but no one was fighting. Mostly they just hang out and bawk. Don't know if there are any advantages other than ease in egg collection...

It is made out of an old drawer given to me by a friend. It wasn't deep enough (only 9 inches), so we built sides from leftover plywood to give the angle and then re-attached the side at 45 degrees. The whole thing is coated with waterproof sealing stain.

I haven't had a broody yet - when that happens it might get a bit awkward. But I am still happy with the design.

[​IMG]

9. DarkWolf

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    What all is in the (pickle?) jars above it?

10. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Almost forgot we have a cat litter pan. They love it.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by