"Community Nest Boxes"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pasturedchickendinner, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pasturedchickendinner

pasturedchickendinner New Egg

Feb 1, 2009
    Winfield, MO
  2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I have seen this design in another book before and I am really thinking of building something similar to my new pullets
    thank you for sharing.

Omran

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Yes I built a community nest. Everyone was saying that their hens all wanted to use the same one or two nests anyway. So i got lazy and figured why put in dividers? They can hang out together and chit chat, or whatever they do....Eggs always end up in the exact same place. Interesting article.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have one large laying box. If I were to divide it, I could probably get 3 laying sections out of it. Seems like they all try and lay in the far right side of it, but I have found eggs all over the box. I have it very deep in wood shavings, probably 4 inches or so. I find the most eggs in the right hand side, but find them in the middle and the right side also. I figure its easier for them when 4 or 5 "gotta go gotta go", they can all jam in there easier than if I had dividers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by