1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Community Nest Use

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MayberrySaint, May 4, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Does anyone have experience using a community nest rather than individual nests for laying hens? I read about using one on an alternative ag site. Seems to make sense...essentially a big box with a top filled with straw. Stays pretty dark because of only one opening into the box. I'll see if I can find the link and post it later.

Andy

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
  3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    That's a pretty cool website. I bet that community nest would work well; I've heard they often like to all lay in the 'favorite' nest box anyway.

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My chickens always have slept in the same nest and layed eggs in a different nest, but both were communal. My chicken tractor now only has one nest for 4 banties, no problems.

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    All my hens lay in the same nest and sometimes there will be a few in it at the same time. I think the idea would be worth the try.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    25 hens in one coop and you know how many nest boxes they lay in?

ONE! They have 12 available to them.

So I don't see an issue with the community box theory.

Last edited: May 6, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by