Community Supported Agriculture

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickened, Nov 6, 2011.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Does anyone belong to this organization? Does it work economically? Any thoughts on this idea?

I recently met several people that are getting out of it and was curious about it. I know nothing about it really other than the products it is suppose to provide.

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Is it an actual organization or just a business model? I thought the latter.

I know a couple of people who are subscribers and they are generally pleased with what they get for the cost. Have a client who sells their farm produce through one.

3. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    My vague understanding is that you buy shares of say a cow and that lets you buy the milk unregulated. There is probably more to it but you may be right but it seems like a crop share quasi co-op membership scheme.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:The "owner" of the farm where some co-op share cattle were being housed and cared for is now in jail for "selling" raw milk. I call BS. How can he be selling it is they are only offering money for the care and upkeep of the cattle.

5. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    That doesn't surprise me one bit.

I just wondered why some people are ditching their animals and getting out, my guess is it is not economical but I really do not know enouugh about it to tell yet.
    Quote:The "owner" of the farm where some co-op share cattle were being housed and cared for is now in jail for "selling" raw milk. I call BS. How can he be selling it is they are only offering money for the care and upkeep of the cattle.

6. debilorrah

People are ditching their animals because of farm police. There was an incident in Nevada just last week where a farmer was having a farm dinner that people paid for serving all homegrown dishes, made and processed right there on the farm. Some state official showed up and made them dispose of ALL the food because the farmer didn't have a license from the USDA to serve processed meats.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky

My grandparents sold raw milk to the neighbors for years. Nobody ever got sick. THey came with their milk pail, grandpa would pour them the fresh warm milk, they paid a little chit chat and off they went. THat was in the 80s in germany though

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Something like that will be taking place in my area this month but I think these people have a license. If I could afford it, I would attend but it's too rich for my blood. It's an organic farm.

9. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    If I was able to participate in something like this it would definately be a don't ask, don't tell situation. It would be great if I had something like this near me.

10. debilorrah

Quote:Something like that will be taking place in my area this month but I think these people have a license. If I could afford it, I would attend but it's too rich for my blood. It's an organic farm.

I would love to attend something like that. I never hear about them in my neck of the woods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by