Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

itsasmallfarm

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 27, 2016
canada
hello everyone.

sad news, today we had to put down one of our two horses.

now we are going to debate on maybe getting another animal, a friend for our other horse. now a few things is we are not going to get another horse or goats. (goats are just not for me)

but are remaining horse is about 22-23 years old. he is in about a 3-5 acre pasture (not sure the size to be honest). so i guess there would be the things we are looking for if we get another animal.
-does not eat a ton, feed seems to be getting more and more costly.
-we have coyotes around, would not want something that could be harmed by them.
-would work with the fence we have (its about 3-4 strand barb wire) but not opposed to adding one or two more stands.

guess am looking kind of at sheep, alpacas and have read geese can be a good friend.

any tips or suggestions would be awesome. thank you
itsasmallfarm.

I'm sorry to hear about your horse. I'm not really sure what animal would be a good companion for a horse, but I used to know a family who adopted a kitten from me for a mouser in their barn with their horses. One of the horses and the kitten (Gracie) became best friends!

I know this is not exactly what you asked, but have you considered boarding someone else's horse? That would provide companionship for your horse, but someone else would be responsible for the cost of feed. Also, if something happened to your remaining horse, you would not be stuck with another lonesome horse (because the boarded horse could move out and go live somewhere else.)

I know this is not exactly what you asked, but have you considered boarding someone else's horse? That would provide companionship for your horse, but someone else would be responsible for the cost of feed. Also, if something happened to your remaining horse, you would not be stuck with another lonesome horse (because the boarded horse could move out and go live somewhere else.)
This is a good idea

I like the boarded pasture-mate idea. I'm sure there might be some rescues too who might be willing to let you foster a mini-pony or donkey, etc. Most ponies are very easy keepers and their food is minimal. The only thing about buying a pony is they tend to live much longer than full-sized horses so once your other guy passes on, you'll be back in the same spot you are now. Thus....the boarding idea might work out better?

thank you everyone for the replies.

i will have to look into donkeys, mules and ponies.

am not crazy about the boarding idea to be honest, but it is something to think about.

i should of also mentioned that for a companion animal i would look at an older animal for a friend.

-we have coyotes around, would not want something that could be harmed by them.
...looking kind of at sheep, alpacas and have read geese can be a good friend
I am pretty sure that coyotes can kill sheep, alpacas, or geese. So you might have trouble with any of those.

Any chance of a dog being a friend to the horse? That might be safer from coyotes, as long as it is not a very small dog.

Back
Top Bottom