1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Companion breed for indoor disabled Maran hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FirstTimeClucky, Feb 14, 2017.

1. FirstTimeClucky

FirstTimeClucky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    I recently adopted a copper maran pullet who can't walk very well. She doesn't put weight on her left leg, so she hops only short distances. She's been this way for weeks (according to her previous owner) and right now she's in a pen where she spends most of her time lying on her belly or side. I've never seen her try to fly either. I live in an apartment, her pen is in my bedroom. Ordinarily I would not keep an "able bodied" chicken of her size in an apartment, I'm only keeping her here because of her disability, which according to my vet will likely be permanent.

I know chickens are happier in flocks, and I think she'd be happier with another hen or pullet. Another bird might stimulate her to try to walk more. So, I'm looking for some advice on suitable breeds. I'd be interested in a bantam sized breed, preferably one that doesn't fly too much, has a calm disposition and is relatively quiet. Would a maran get along with a smaller chicken? I was thinking of a silkie because they seem to be a popular indoor pet breed, but I'm sure there are other suitable breeds out there as well.

If a bantam sized breed wouldn't be suitable, which other breeds might work? Or, would a second chicken be a bad idea?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The first thing to consider is whether you are allowed to have the chicken there and if this will become an issue with the landlord. Remember, you can hide her all you want, but sometimes they enter the apartments for maintenance and such. A lot of dogs and cats get redirected to shelters because of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by