Companion breeds sultan/silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cwyrick1022, Mar 6, 2017.

1. cwyrick1022

cwyrick1022 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    what type of breed goes well in a flock of silkies and one sultan?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Does the sultan hang out with the silkies? My Sultan seems to be kind of a loner. I did cut her "hair" for her but I think I need to do more; part of it may just be because she has a hard time seeing :(

3. cwyrick1022

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My sultan was bought under the assumption she was a silkie as a tiny chick. They're still to young to live in my coop but I did notice she is a loner. The others would cuddle at night while she slept on opposite side of brooder and her feathers started to look different... she is really attached to me and I wanted to get her a friend... the fact that I even got a sultan is rare around here. So I imagine it would be hard for me to find her one to bond with. She was a surprise mystery chick, I'm still not 100% Sure she's a sultan, but when I posted photos of her on here with her distinct look many people suggest she was a sultan. I don't know how we got her but I love her and she's actually become the favorite.

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The reason I asked is because my Sultan is very much a loner as well. She does roost next to the others but she doesn't seem to have a friend or anyone that she prefers to hang out with. I wish she would tag along with one of my noncrested chickens since they can see better!

5. cwyrick1022

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma

This may be funny but I felt so bad for her being lonely, so I went to the pet store and bought a large bird mirror (meant for parrots) and she loves it! She plays with it and she naps by it and she seems to be more social now with the rest of the flock... until the silkies get on her nerves. Then she goes and hangs out with her mirror. I've heard of people with "rainbow" flocks. So I'm looking at other breed to introduce to my flock so maybe she will find a real friend. For now she is happy with her reflection.

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Hmmm interesting! I wonder if sultans really only prefer other sultans. I am going to have to find the Sultan thread and do some reading. Maybe she will be besties with one of the Appenzeller Spitzhauben chicks I have!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. cwyrick1022

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma

I don't know if it's because she sees another sultan, or if she just really vain. Lol She has been my favorite since the beiginning and she knows it. I think her personality is more diva like, she must think she is fabulous. Because I treat her like she is! I spoil her a tad too much. Which is maybe why she prefers me over the silkies.
    The reasoning behind the mirror was I was loooking into a thread on keeping lonely chickens company and someone suggested a mirror.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by