companion for female ring neck dove

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by broody rooster, Oct 3, 2015.

1. broody rooster

broody rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    hey everyone i have a female ringneck dove she seems fine but at the same time she seems less lively since ive released the male mourning dove ive wanted to get a mate for her nut the breeder i have her from has only doves related to her so that wont do and i was wondering in one of those wire dog crates what could i put in with her to make her feel better someone told me a pigeon but i knew that was a horrible idea especially in a smaller confined space ( i let her out to fly around in the bathroom for an hour when i can ) i would spend time with her but 1 i spend 8 hours at school and the rest doing homework and 2 i still haven't gotten her completely used to me but i had a few ideas a related female sibling, a female coturnix quail or maybe get a baby pigeon and hand rear it in with her so it gets used to her ?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    If you don't plan on raising doves, one that is related will make a good companion; just remove the eggs and provide dummy eggs for them to brood. Without the dummy eggs the birds would just keep laying as the eggs were removed.

3. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    would the be any territorial problems between the two or aggression this one in p articular acts rather male like she would pick at my mourning mourning dove and she likes to coo and wing flick but shes laid eggs before

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

Your description is a hen that wants a mate and to nest. If you get a male there will be no territorial problem they will share space. They might peck at each other in the beginning until the male asserts himself, but it won't last long.

5. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    i cant seem to find a male that isnt related to her

6. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    would she pair up with a different species or a female or would that result in more aggression

7. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

I have had two males pair up and even raise chicks by fostering eggs from another pair. I also have had a very old pair, no longer able to produce eggs, build a nest and raise a damascene pigeon. I have not tried two females together. I would go with the related male if your not interested in raising the squabs.

8. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    ok thankyou i think i'm gonna go with a related female because if the babies end up hatching they will be a bit ...odd or will have some for of genetic defect whether its lowered immune system or lifespan besides i may try to get a pigeon squab later in your case did you put the pigeon egg or a hatched baby under them

9. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    The hen sat many days on an empty nest so I put the damascene egg under her. The dove pair hatched and raised the baby. Note-damascene pigeons are a fairly short-billed breed. I am not sure if ring neck doves could handle the larger bill of a normal pigeon squab.

10. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Agree with this, my second pigeon was a damascene and his beak was about half the length of my rollers which made him hard to hand feed but I can see how it would be easier for doves to raise. Some of my 4 day old rollers beaks are bigger/longer than my adult doves beaks!

This is Buggie the damascene pigeon, his beak is super short.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by