Companion for White Chinese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gg61501, Dec 10, 2010.

1. gg61501

gg61501 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Howdy all!

I've got a 6 month-old White Chinese gander who needs a companion -- and I was wondering: does it really matter if we get a goose of another breed? Or should I keep trying to find a White/Brown Chinese or African? I've been having a hard time finding a "match" -- but came across some folks with Saddlebacks and Pilgrims and am tempted to jump on one before they are gone.

In y'all's experience, does it really matter? We never really started out wanting geese -- just chicks and ducks -- but we adopted him and really want him to have someone to "talk" to [​IMG]. Not really concerned about them breeding -- just companions.

We've got (6) 3-week-old ducklings who will be ready soon to leave the brooder, but I don't think they'd make suitable pen-fellows. Speaking of that...is that a correct assumtion as well?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom! [​IMG]

Randy

2. glenntwo

glenntwo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Cedar Creek TX
    Depends. If you don't mind the noise, the best thing to do is get some females. He needs at least one, and better yet three girlfriends. I have a pair of Chinese myself, and I''m thinking about getting the big guy a Christmas present. Actually two, or maybe even three.

I will probably be overrun with eggs if I do this, so if I do, and anyone wants eggs, let me know. My lone girl is pretty prolific by herself, so I can't imagine what will happen with two or three more females running around here. I'm not too interested in hatching them myself, so if you are close to Texas, maybe I can get a few to anyone who wants to incubate them.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I thought a gander preferred only one or 2 geese.

4. gg61501

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Glenn, thanks for the input. [​IMG]

Really, though -- my main question is whether it matters what breed the female is. Does it matter? Strickly for companionship purposes...

Anyone?

5. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Doesn't matter. In my mixed crowds, I have a toulouse gander over 3 chinese geese (we have 4, but he rejected one and doesn't really want the third, so only try and get 2), and an american blue with a saddleback.

6. gg61501

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    Puddle -- thanks! That's kinda what I figured.

Now all I need is a GOOSE! [​IMG]

I'm having a heckuva time finding somewhat-mature stock in my area!

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Not the chinas that I have had! the gander may have a favorite and sometimes a goose will dominate a gander and drive off any other goose that shows interest in HER gander, but once she goes broody, the gander starts acting like a southern good old boy and mates with what ever he can.

8. gg61501

Nov 14, 2010
    Katy TX
    [​IMG]

Nice, goosedragon! "like a southern good old boy" -- too funny. [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    wonder where goose dragon is from?

10. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Quote:As long as she isn't too immature, they will be fine together. They won't mate until she is ready anyway. NOT like a chicken who will mate with you if you stand still long enough. [​IMG]

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by