Company backed by Bill Gates trying to replace eggs with plant-based protein products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, we were just talking last night about MRE's and how the faux-egg ones were universally loathed. If they manage to make some that aren't so horrible that they're viewed as cruel and unusual punishment for soldiers (as a prank, a couple of soldiers replaced all the MREs with the egg ones for the next incoming soldiers, I'm sure they were cursed for years for that stunt) then good for them on coming up with an alternative.

So cheap & plant based, just what I love made up food! What are they going to made of, cheap & available waste from the soy industry like the rest of our food? If it comes form the food science industry. I'll pass.

So cheap & plant based, just what I love made up food! What are they going to made of, cheap & available waste from the soy industry like the rest of our food? If it comes form the food science industry. I'll pass.

It seems to me that the law could be changed to outlaw caged hens. Wouldn't that be the simple solution?

Laws change all the time. That's a good thing.

Nah. Ever changing laws means people/companies have no way to plan for the future as they don't know what the laws will be. That stifles growth, competition, and innovation.

A simpler and much easier idea is to simply enforce the legitimate laws we have (ie laws where there is an actual victim and an aggressor) and repeal the ones that aren't effective or valid (ie nanny state laws that have no victim and are simply government forcing its views on the people).

As for yet another egg substitutes, great! Bring on the new ideas and products. Let the people (aka the market) FREELY choose what they want rather than having government shove it down our throats. You and I may know our own eggs are better tasting and better for us but we have no right to force that option on others. If others choose to succumb to marketing or choose to decide with their pocketbook, that is their right.

Nah. Ever changing laws means people/companies have no way to plan for the future as they don't know what the laws will be. That stifles growth, competition, and innovation.

A simpler and much easier idea is to simply enforce the legitimate laws we have (ie laws where there is an actual victim and an aggressor) and repeal the ones that aren't effective or valid (ie nanny state laws that have no victim and are simply government forcing its views on the people).

As for yet another egg substitutes, great! Bring on the new ideas and products. Let the people (aka the market) FREELY choose what they want rather than having government shove it down our throats. You and I may know our own eggs are better tasting and better for us but we have no right to force that option on others. If others choose to succumb to marketing or choose to decide with their pocketbook, that is their right.

Laws must be changed from time to time. If not, we would still have slavery in the United States, for example.

No market is ever totally free.

I do not think allowing inhumane treatment of animals is a good idea. Those commercial hens spend their lives locked in a tiny cage.

Oh no, then people would have to pay real prices for eggs instead of the $1/dozen like they were going for in the 1920s!

And eliminating battery chickens would allow small family farmers to be able to better make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom