1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Compare my WRs...roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by augustmomx2, Mar 30, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So I ordered 2 WRs from Ideal & they are my ds' chickies. Today I noticed that one has a more definite comb than the other [​IMG] Please tell me they are both hens, they will have to go if they end up being roos & he will be devastated.

#1--smaller comb
    [​IMG]

#1--smaller comb

[​IMG]

#2--larger comb
    [​IMG]

What is your expert opinion? TIA [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009

2. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    #2 has too much comb and wattle to be a girl, IMHO. Never had white rocks before, but never seen a girl chickie with that much wattle.

3. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Thanks for the input, I better start preparing my ds for the possibility...

Love your avatar by the way, I have to get one of those!

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    too soon to tell i believe, just telling by the comb its still 50/50 until its too obvious. and even then it confuses some people (Naughty leghorns.....). try comparing leg sizes, and which is bigger. attitudes. etc.. once their about 3-4 months you usually can tell 100% with the other examples like feathers, crowing/egg laying. and all of that stuff

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Well that's encouraging news [​IMG] They both were the first to feather out pretty quickly. I'm hoping thats an indication of a female as well. But, as you said, its just too early to tell [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by