Comparing Muscovy Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Wolf Queen, Jan 14, 2010.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I was wondering if anyone on here might have a pic comparing a Scovy egg to a regular large chicken egg and a Scovy egg compared to a white egg. Thanks in advance

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    OOooh Ooooh! ME! except I can't find my camera. I got my first scovie egg today! it is just a little bit bigger and kinda "waxy" looking off white.

3. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hmm define waxy(shiny or...?). Ive been getting a large, what looks to be white, egg almost daily and I dont believe my Scovy girls are old enough to lay but im just makin sure. But im also considering that these big white eggs might be coming from my one Leghorn hen or my campine.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a pic of two Scovy eggs with a lg-Xlarge chicken egg in the middle. Scovy eggs feel very waxy, a bit glossy with it. Your first Scovy eggs may be smaller since they are pullets, so to speak, and my first Scovy eggs had a lot more greenish spoting/coloring. They "clean up" once they start laying regularly. My blue egg laying EE's love to lay their eggs in with the Scovies so you may find your Leghorn gal doing the same.

[​IMG]

5. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks Keeper. These eggs dont feel waxy so they mus tbe from my Leghorn or Campine. Nuts. I want baby scovies already! When are my girls gonna start laying lol???

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    between 5 - 7 months I think. I know taht scovies arent fully grown till 8 or so months where as reg non scovies are fully grown 4 -5 months.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I just found these in the run today so they're a little scratched up but here's an example:

Left 3: Scovy Eggs
    Right 5: EE, EE, Bantam Cochin, EE, EE
    [​IMG]

8. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    OK guys i reckon I get the idea thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by