Comparison pics, roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by richsbabycakes, Oct 10, 2012.

1. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    I got this EE and of course we were told he's an Americauna pullet but when I posted his pics in August the consensus was roo. The first pic is from August 17 and I don't know his age then but I guessed about 8-10 weeks. The second set of pics is from today. No crowing, no squatting, no eggs. Actually, he doesn't vocalize at all and I'm wondering if it's possible to have a mute chicken. He is low on the pecking order too and runs from everything. What do you think? Roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I had a cockerel who never crowed... He was low also. Big bird, but very timid. Never even tried to mount a hen. I knew he was a boy because of the tail, hackles, saddles... He was all over a boy, but just....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That is defiitely a rooster, sorry. The feathers confirm it, if it was just based on comb/wattles - I would have guessed pullet. [​IMG] Classic Rooster Feathering (ignore clouring). I'm going to say he is an EE without a beard. He has other EE traits (legs are green, comb is a pea comb). I have a pure white EE pullet [​IMG] Here she is at 22 weeks old.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would take him off your hands for my white girls. I'd like to have more white EEs. :p The beards seem to be dominant. Out of my crossed chicks (EE x whatever) none are lacking beards. At least as day olds anyway. They all are beardless now as they are lacking baby fuzz and growing big girl/boy feathers.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    roo but very pretty

6. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    This gives me hope.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    With those saddle, hackle, and sickle feather? No way that's a pullet [​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats a cockerel all the way

9. ChickenGrit

ChickenGrit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Crockett, VA
    boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by