Compatible Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by grimsmom, Jun 1, 2012.

1. grimsmom

grimsmom Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    Can anyone tell me what breeds, if any, are compatible with black austrolorps? I am wanting to diversify my "chick family". Thanks for the input.

2. Cotton42

Cotton42 Songster

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Well, I've got 14 different breeds with my black australorp and they are all getting along very well. What breed were you thinking of getting and how old are your chickies?

3. grimsmom

grimsmom Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    My BA's are almost 4 weeks old. We're considering Dominiques, Easter Eggers, and Welsummers. We want to put them together before there is a huge age difference. We have 9 BA's and our run is 6ft by about 50ft.

4. Cotton42

Cotton42 Songster

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    It's not so much the age difference that matters as the size difference. I've got 16 week olds in with 13, 9, and 5 week olds. There is some pecking that goes on during the day, but the little ones have a space in the yard where they can get away from the big girls if it gets to crazy. I say get the chickies you want and let them sort it out.

5. grimsmom

grimsmom Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    Thanks! That's what I thought but wanted to make sure there weren't any incompatible breeds with BA's.
    -Lori

6. MeMaAndSamantha

MeMaAndSamantha In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    Oh so much great most welcome information in regards to 'compatible breeds' ... my worries are less now. GrandDaughter and I are wanting a 'mixed' flock of hens, not sure we are ready for a rooster, , , we are wanting family, ranch, dog, cat compatible chickens too. We would appreciate any thoughts you have on this. Thanks.[​IMG]

7. HunterUSArmy

HunterUSArmy In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    South West Georgia
    Has anyone bred RIR and barred rock? That's the two I have and I'm just curious what they would look like if they mixed

8. If you breed a RIR rooster to Barred Rock hens you will get black sex-links.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2. The male chicks will be black with a white spot on top of their heads and the female chicks will be all black. I currently have 7 of them and the are very friendly, egg laying machines.

10. HunterUSArmy

HunterUSArmy In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    South West Georgia
    Good deal I just might try it:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: