1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Compatible breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AZ RT89A, Oct 21, 2014.

1. AZ RT89A

AZ RT89A Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I'm going to be placing my April order of chicks soon, and I have a pretty good idea of the breeds that I want. I just wanted to make sure that they are all compatible with each other. I will be ordering about 15 total. The breeds we have decided on are:

Silver and/or gold laced wyandotts
    Buff polish
    A couple Rhode Island Reds
    Maybe 1 or two others
    and the balance will be filled out with Buff Orpingtons.

Do these breeds get along well with each other?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I've found that, if you raise them together as chicks, they seem to get along pretty well as adults, not matter the breed. I've actually had all the breeds you've listed, and raised them together, with the exception of the Polish. I did raise them, but they were in a separate coop. They were a bit high strung.

All the different breeds did free range together though, without problems.

3. Meg09

Meg09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I have only ever had one hen (rhode island red) that killed every chicken/rooster I had. She was awful! I ended up "accidently" leaving her out a few nights, until coyotes snatched her. She was bad news. Other than that, all my chickens never had issues... even roosters I ended up getting separately as adults did fine in the coop at night together. Until my hen killed them. I wouldnt recommend it, but usually as long as they have enough space most get along well, at least that's been my experience. I also had a turkey and goose in with them and they were fine. Those breed should fine together esp since they are raised together. Most of the time you will have more trouble introducing new birds into th flock than anything else. I thibk those brees will do fine. I care took 30 chickens for 6 years and they were crosses and purebreds of the breeds you mentioned and they did fine. All my birds and the ones I took care of free ranged during the day though, if that makes a difference.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Why not just cull her yourself and provide her a clean death and you some meat?

1 person likes this.
  5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    ^ I agree :/

As for the breeds you've listed, the only issue I see might be the Polish. Mine had a tendency to get picked on, even by my Silkies. The other birds pulled out my roos crest feathers until he was bald and would keep him from the feeder, so we ended up rehoming him (and the other breeds that picked on him, which were Silkies and bantam Cochins, he was raised with). He was a very flighty guy, but who could blame him?!?!
    Best of luck!

6. AZ RT89A

Sep 17, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. Has anyone else had any issues with Polish chickens getting picked on?

7. AZ RT89A

Sep 17, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Placed the order, well, I scheduled the order for April. I decided to hold off on the Polish, just because I didn't want to risk any issues with bullying. So we got 2 silver laced wyandotts, 1 golden laced wyandott, 3 rhode island reds and 9 buff orpingtons. Now to wait 6 months...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by