Compatible?

USMCorps782

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Lynchburg,VA
Does anyone have experience with large and small hens mixed in the same flock? I have ordered 5 hens from McMurry- (2) Blk Australorps, (2) Buff Orpingtons and (1) Single-comb brown Leghorn. I am now wondering if the Leghorn is going to be compatible with four large birds.

Hi. The leghorn will be smaller and may be the one that gets picked on. Although the leghorn is faster the pen has boundaries. Just, watch for lot of picking on (Torn out feathers , bloody back, eyes closed shut due to pecking). If they are raised together in a big enough area you may be ok. But, separate if you see these signs.

My skinny little Leghorn uses brains over braun and has maintained her position as second in the pecking order of a Barred Rock, Production Red, and Marans. She is now broody, and I am hoping she will be allowed back in the flock after raising her chicks without too much pecking. She is quick and alert and I don't think I've even ever seen the BR peck at her, it's just always been understood that the BR is #1 and she is her #2 side-kick.

" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Size doesn't matter so much for most animals
wink.png

My brown leghorn hen is smaller, but not THAT much smaller than my dual hens. She's a spaz, but not the bottom of the pecking order.

Good luck and enjoy your hens!

I understand the pecking order is natures way, however I had a BR once that would corner smaller birds in the run and just jack hammer the tar out of them; I used to get so aggrevated. I free range them but there are times of course that they will be within reach in the coop/run. I really like the look of the BL but may be able to modify my order if it was going to be an issue.

roosters4sale- Your welcome. I would have to say it was a great 6 years spent.

I've heard some BR's are like that, but mine has never been bad. Just a few chases and pecks to keep everyone in line, no blood or lost feathers. I think overall they are bossy but not necessarily violent. I would keep the BL in your order - I really enjoy my Leghorn, and LOVE those big white eggs - EVERY DAY when not broody. So much of it will depend on the personality of the individual bird. I introduced my Marans after the other three grew up together, and even though she is enormous at this point, she is still the bottom of the pecking order (although now the EE babies are last, but I have a feeling the one that looks like she has some Leghorn in her will be moving up a few notches as she matures - she just doesn't back down).

Although I only have 4 girls they are all different and the large 1 is a buff orp hen that is lame the other 3 are Andalusian,campine and bantam Brahma, I don't know if its the size of my flock or the age, but I never see a squabble at all except when the Brahma bit me the other day when I was petting another. I guess the bo might be more aggressive if she were fit.

Raised together, given enough space- you should have no problem. What she lacks in size, she will make up for with quickness.

Back
Top Bottom