complete amateur with chickens-injured/sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seahuntmike, Dec 23, 2014.

1. seahuntmike

seahuntmike Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I have three hens-one rir ,two hybrids(what I was told). five days ago I showed up and my two hybrids were bloody around the face and head,kept an eye on them and just waited( thought that they might have got into a fight or something). once again i'm a rookie at this. now one wont open her eye and wont eat. brought her inside.what is my next step

2. seahuntmike

Dec 23, 2014
    sorry forgot to say that they are approximately 12 weeks old

3. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    Keep her inside, keep her warm, and offer high-interest treats like mealworms, fruit, and hearty greens. Treat the wound with Vetricyn (like neosporin for animals). Give her a night and maybe a day to settle down.

It sounds like your rir might be bullying. Try separating her and see if the trouble stops. If she is the bully, you might consider rehoming her.

4. seahuntmike

Dec 23, 2014
    is it possible that my hybrids are fighting?

5. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    It is possible, of course. If they're all female, I would suspect the Uninjured bird first. In any case, this situation needs monitoring. Can you observe their behavior for a few days?

6. seahuntmike

Dec 23, 2014
    thanks....I have her inside in a box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by