Complete newbie..looking for insight

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by adblaze, Oct 5, 2012.

1. adblaze

adblaze New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Recently purchased a 10 acre lot in rural Michigan. We occupy the property Nov 1. We would love to build a coop and raise chickens mainly for eggs, but like the additional benefits of the fertilizer and "natural garbage disposal" aspect for any overflow of fruits and veggies we produce, so they don't go to waist.

At any rate, we are interested in raising about 6 maran hens and 1 maran rooster.

My question is, can we begin this endeavor in the middle of November, or should we wait until spring to begin purchasing chicks and raising them.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You can purchase chicks any time of the year. I like getting them in fall so they start laying in spring - just in time for breeding season, but it's up to you. Lots of people are looking to get rid of chickens this time of year to make room in their barn/coop for winter, so it's a great time to get started birds.

:welcome

Glad you decided to join us! Poultry keeping is a very rewarding and worthwhile hobby, and it makes me smile when anyone new decides to take the leap :woot

3. adblaze

adblaze New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Thanks a lot! Next question...can you recommend a good Maran breeder?

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    You sure can! The Marans is a wonderful breed of chicken too. Ya'll get deep dark chocolate colored eggs. Don't forget to stop by the New Member Introduction section and say hello! Congratulations on being new land owners!

Hello from "the rolling hills" of Kentucky!

[​IMG]

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You might be able to find one in your area here.

I am in a different country, so recommending a breeder is pretty useless from me :lol:

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Stop by and check out the Michigan thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233/michigan . You might find a few breeders there. Also look into the Buy, Sell, Trade section, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade right here at BYC! You can also post your own classified ad. Don't forget outside sources such as hatcheries and Craig's List. Marans come in many different price ranges from around $8.00 each to hundreds of dollars per bird. It just depends on what quality line you are interested in.

We will have french black copper marans hatching eggs and live baby chicks available but not until the spring of 2013.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. adblaze

adblaze New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Thank you very much and if we don't get up and running to spring I will send you a shout!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by