Complete Newbie Wants to Know: Any Roos Here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pony Trotsky, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Pony Trotsky

Pony Trotsky Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Okay.

I think I've been reading too many BYC gender threads, because I'm now seeing roo-ish characteristics in all three of my new chickens - all bought as pullets. One is kinda big, one is kinda grouchy, one hasn't got the right sort of feathers . . . anyway, I thought I'd better ask the experts before I go totally bananas!

These are 11/12 week hatchery SLWs, who arrived a week ago with a bunch of feathers missing. (I treated for mites, added DE to the coop sand, and am feeding extra protein and BOSS to help feathers regrow. They're coming in like gangbusters!) All combs are shades of pinky/salmon, and wattles are all weeny and the color of a plastic Barbie doll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Looks like all girlies to me! My SLW showed his true colors at about 6 weeks. No doubt he was a boy![​IMG]

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I'm pretty sure they are all girls what breed are they???

4. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    looks like three pullets.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, the comb would be redder if they were roos. My GLW is a little grumpy and bossy sometimes, but she lays nice eggs anyhow.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Looks like 3 girls to me!

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Girls!!!

8. Pony Trotsky

Pony Trotsky Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Oh, YAY! I am lovin' you guys!

[​IMG]

Now, about feathers: in the photo of the three girls together, you'll notice that there's one - the one in front - that has no lacing to speak of, and rather babyish feathers all over; she's also got a silly little poof ball of a tail. The other two are getting new feathers with crisp white ovals on them, but this poor little thing just has little bristly porcupine quills so far, so I'm a bit confused.

Will this situation improve, or is this just the Hatchery SLW Syndrome that people talk about?

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Looks like 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets to me!

10. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    looks all pullets to me, one of them seems to already be starting on a "broody glare" even.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by