Complete newbie!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jtmckinney, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jtmckinney

jtmckinney New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hudson, North Carolina
    I have never owned chickens a day in my life! However I recently got attached to a baby chick and wanted to bring it home... I ended up with 6 and there are 2 with feathers on their feet. There's one that the feathers are really getting big. (Pictured) They are 12 days old. Can anyone tell me what kind I have?[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    not a silkie but might be a cochin

3. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    It's hard to tell from the picture, it could be a Cochin, but ours have been really slow to feather and have very minimal feathers at two weeks, definitely not that much. We have Light Brahmas that look like that (as far as I can tell from the picture) and have feathered feet, though. Maybe one of those?

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    It's a Belgian Bearded d'Uccle for sure! Check out the beard and muffs on that guy! Can't tell from the picture but I'll bet ya $10 that he has vulture hocks [​IMG] As far as coloring goes??? I'd say Mille Fleur, but his feathering in wrong for a mille fleur. Maybe a mix? Where did you get him?

5. jtmckinney

jtmckinney New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hudson, North Carolina
    I noticed the picture didn't look as good once I uploaded it, so here are a few more that look a little better... Thanks for the responses everyone! [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

6. jtmckinney

jtmckinney New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hudson, North Carolina
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jtmckinney

jtmckinney New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hudson, North Carolina
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

8. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    D'uccle's are very sweet and friendly chickens, you will enjoy her (hopefully) a lot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by