Completely halted digestion followed by death - DIY necropsy findings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dudu, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Dear all,

Been a while since I last posted, thought I would share - had a young hennie (about 2.5 years old) go downhill quickly (over a few days, at least after I noticed), comb very pale, crop felt full of liquid and some pellets, and overnight nothing empties (maybe just a little bit), pooping very watery poop. Gave her antibiotics just in case (Baytril equivalent), dewormed immediately after I saw her unwell. Yesterday she spent all day not eating anything at all and not drinking either, and in the evening I force fed her by hand (pieces of omlet with crushed pellets baked into it). In the morning she was still with us but visibly worse and in the afternoon she passed away.

Right now my husband cut her up and I watched for the first time (plucked up the courage), just to hopefully notice something and be able to learn.

Her gizzard was fine except for some harder parts which still seemed ok after cutting them lengthwise, BUT then he lifted up a part of the gizzard which was more ball-like and with yellowish streaks attached to it on the surface (don't know if that is still normal or not). And when he cut it up, there was a cyst-like thing - with matter in it very similar to what chickens get in the mouth when they have canker, kind of like dry puss or something (at least it looked exactly the same). And then not far from it another part of the gizzard was the same way.

That is what was holding the food from passing through :( :( :( I wish I had had the slightest idea, maybe turmeric would have helped as I hear a lot of good about it lately (and I used the powder in one case a while ago and I think that is what helped, it was like a tumour or wart under a hen's beak/chin which disappeared). I am so very sorry for our Lucy and sad that I had no clue.

What do you think caused these things?
    Was there any way to prevent or treat it to make it better, in your opinion?

At least now when I will see another bird like this, with the digestion almost completely stopped and crop not emptying, I will suspect this. I thought there was some blockage, something stuck, but didn't expect to see these cysts (?).

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

that is odd.

At first I thought that it sounded like your hen had an impacted crop.

a cyst/tumor whatever can have different causes. She could have eaten a tiny bit of metal that got stuck in the crop and started the cyst.

But really, I have no idea.

Sorry you lost her! [​IMG]

3. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Sorry I only now checked back in, thanks for your response. I am still puzzled about it too, haven't actually talked to our doc about it yet but I will (and if he has an answer, without seeing the actual thing, I will post an update).

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

thanks! it is good to have the information out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by