Completely New to Chickens! Our 3 Mystery Pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VA Lady, May 28, 2010.

1. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    We started with 4 pullets but learned a very hard and horrible lesson about how determined a raccoon can be. It doesn't really matter to us what breed they are but I'm a little curious (they may even be mixes). If anyone has any thoughts it'll be appreciated!

[​IMG]

Roxie:
    [​IMG]

Maude:
    [​IMG]

Sasha:
    [​IMG]

2. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    they all look like mixes but they're cute! maybe barred rock mix? and the tan one looks easter egger ish.

3. VA Lady

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    I like the idea of them being mixes - it makes each one of them that much more special! [​IMG] The three of them already have their own personalities too. Maude is very friendly and will let me pick her up and hold her. She is also very brave and will take off on her own all over the place digging around for bugs and exploring. Roxie is energetic and curious. She keeps an eye on everything going on around her and in particular watches out for Sasha - her shadow. Sasha is a shy bird who likes to sit in the door to the coop and follow Roxie when she's feeling adventurous.

4. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    aweee [​IMG] and sorry about the raccoon. i definitely know how awful they can be.

I have a 3 week old mix now that hatched from my birds i have and he's such a crazy little thing [​IMG] I love watching them develop their different personalities. Good luck with your chickies!

5. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    not sure about 1 and 2 definately look like mixes but 3 is an EE. I have two that look very much like her and one of them has a personality kinda like your except she always comes to me and she has crooked beak which makes her all the more cuteamous...lol

6. VA Lady

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Maude is definitely a crazy little thing - she seems to have no fear! I think she'd run right off into the middle of the woods if I didn't keep an eye on her. We want to free range them when the are a little bigger (worried about the hawks right now) but I have no clue how well that will work with her love for exploration! [​IMG]

I was one of those people who thought raccoons were so cute... not now! We have seen it since by the coop and have set up a trap but haven't had any luck now - maybe tonight... It's been a week and we're still upset about our little Tulip. She was already a very pretty and sweet little bird. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by