Completely new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abeebe1989, Jun 23, 2016.

1. abeebe1989

abeebe1989 New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Anderson, SC
    Hello from Anderson, SC. I just want to start out by saying I am completely new to chicken raising. In the researching stage of egg-layers right now. Also, I live in the city limits and unsure if I am allowed to have any hens. If anyone has any advice, it would be very appreciated.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! First of, check here to find out about your local laws and ordinances:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/3/Laws

(Your state thread for locals) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread/0_30

Once you got the go-ahead, here's a quick guide to chicken breed(s) choosing and your options:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds

Best of luck with your venture and fingers crossed the ordinances are in your favour!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'd suggest that you contact your city / town administration regarding whether keeping chickens is permitted.

I've just seen @Sumi's post, which also provides excellent links to help you out.

Good luck
    CT

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Welcome to BYC
    Glad you could join us.

If your city has rules against chicken keeping -
    You can choose to keep stealth chickens - there are coop plans and everything.
    I would suggest you only have hens - many chicken vendors will send you sexed chicks.
    My pet Chicken
    Murry McMurry
    to name a couple

You might pick bantams - They lay perfect snack sized eggs I love cochin bantams but they are not the greatest layers. The cochin females are very quiet. Fuzzy little feather balls
    Australops are big enormous chickens but I found them to be very quiet and good at not leaving the chicken run - very good layers - very sweet and loving, pretty too (They are black)
    I have had good luck with Orpingtons - Buff, I swear are the nicest but they would jump out of the run all the time, I have had black orps and Blue orps - beautiful sweet chickens - great layers
    Once chickens start to lay eggs you get 1 egg per chicken per day.
    Be careful about chicken math - sometimes we get so excited, we order more chickens than we need and you can only eat so much quiche.

I love New Hamshire Reds - great layers - quiet - My rhode island reds liked to announce they were laying eggs, leg horns too - great Layers but LOUD layers.

So if you have to be stealthy - ask about the different breeds.

I grew up in San Jose California and in my suburban neighborhood, many of the neighbors kept chickens. They hired me as a teen to house sit and feed them. The surrounding neighbors often had no idea. Parrots are so much more obnoxious and louder than any chicken I ever had. They have rooster collars now too that quiet the crowing.

Good Luck to you in your adventures in Chicken Keeping.
    Caroline
    [​IMG]

5. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, Welcome to BYC. You've definitely come to the right place! As you see ^ The people here are very friendly - and always willing to help out in any way they can. I've learnt so much from this site, and I continue to learn everyday. You're gonna love it here! Hope to see you around :D

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can find out about laws/restrictions by going to or calling your village hall. If you plan to take the stealth route do have a plan B, for when a neighbor turns you into the authorities, and they give you a few days to divest yourself of all chickens. Not fun at all.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. abeebe1989

abeebe1989 New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks so much for the info and welcoming me. I have 2 young daughters that are ages 6 and 7 so I'll definitely want chickens that don't mind some love and attention occasionally. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by