Completely newbie designing a coop

mommaBof7

In the Brooder
May 10, 2018
Hello!
I only plan to have 4-5 hens. Currently I hatched out 11 chicks (classroom project) and decided to keep five. They are 2.5 weeks old as of now, and I'm trying to get the coop done in the next couple weeks hopefully.

While I'd love for them to be free range, I'm not sure how my cats and dog would respond, and there are just too many areas we'd have to fix to make sure they couldn't escape/get hurt..but maybe one day.

I thought starting with a basic coop and attached run would be good for 4-5 hens. Someday soon, maybe I could section off part of the yard for a much larger run - but that would require fencing and more money.

So here's the design I found that we may be copying: thoughts?
It will be taller so that I can walk into it, but the frame right now is 4x8. The nesting box would sit outside the coop as seen in the picture.

I know it looks small compared to the big beautiful designs I've seen here --but keep in mind budget and time. Space isn't an issue thankfully. So far we've spent $260 on just the supplies to frame this in and put the wire around it. :/ :/ Is that pretty typical? Any tips on how to make it larger and not spend a ton more money?

Attachments

• chickencoopidea.jpg
    chickencoopidea.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 18
You can make it bigger without spending a lot of money by using repurpose wood or pallets, on my 2nd mini coop/run, I used pallets and scrap wood from a local hardware store to build it. I spent approximately less than $100 including the stain. The coop is 7x7 and the run is 8x7. They gave me old pallets, scrap lenolium flooring and some wood scraps from their lumber. The only thing I bought are some 2x4s and the hardware cloth and stains. But of course it didn’t all happen in one day, I had to talk to multiple managers do different dept that are willing to give stuff.

Having built both walk in style coop, and elevated short coop as you picture, I can tell you that you WON"T be pleased with that style coop. I would build as a bare minimum: a walk in style shed coop 8 x 4 that sits on the ground, with attached walk in style run that is at least 50 s.f. Build your coop with future use in mind if you ever decide not to keep chickens. A shed style can be repurposed for a tool or garden shed, store the lawnmower, or kid's play house. The 2 level coop is useful for little more than as a chicken coop which poorly meets the needs of the flock, or owner, no matter what your climate. The short coops are difficult to adequately ventilate, especially in the winter, b/c they don't have enough ceiling height or adequate cu. ft.

Back
Top Bottom