Completely recycled coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BantamTurkey, Jul 1, 2016.

1. BantamTurkey

BantamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bessemer Alabama
    I've got two coops made of totally recycled materials. Was wondering if there are anymore out there... I know there is. Show me your creative recycled material coops!
    My two: one of them I used an old cage and completely tore it down bc the wood had rotted and the top of it was missing half. I used a couple of scap 1x1's along the bottom, cut out one of the holes so my bantams could fit with plenty of room, then I used some strap 1x2" welded wire and scrap rabbit wire to make a small run to go from tiny coop to bigger area. I used a 1 ltr mt dew bottle and cut out a hole in the side for water. For a roost I took the rails off of an old drawer and hung it from the top of the coop. It's all held together with tie-wire.
    The other one is very interesting: I first took a large cooler that was cracked across the bottom and and turned it on its side. Then I took some scrap rabbit wire and made a divider in the middle. I took the rest of the tab it wire I had to make the top and the front. I had an ice cream cooler out of convenience store that got new stuff, so I took the glass doors from the top and made side windows. The water on both sides is in power aid bottles with a hole cut out of the sides. Once again I used tie-wire to hold it all together. For roosts I used welding rods and took all of the coating off. I pushed them thru the side of the cooler.
    Show me where your imagination took you...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by