Completely shelless egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster-red, Jun 11, 2008.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I was collecting eggs a few minutes ago, picked up one and got a real shock!

I looks just like a normal egg, so I was shocked when it felt like rubber, wasn't expecting that.

All my hens get plenty of calcium, so I wonder if somebody is having reproductive tract issues?

[​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Those can happen and it doesn't mean the worst.
    Obelisk lays them when she's just starting up or getting to the end of a laying cycle. I give her Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother and Oyster Shell Calcium when they happen.

3. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Strane thing is I gave them ACV just Yesterday. [​IMG]

4. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I get one of those every once in awhile. It just happens. Otherwise my girls lay thick healthy eggs.
    Jacie

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine lay a dud like that every once in a while. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

6. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I handed the egg to my son and told him to take it to his Mom. His word were "OH, that feels SOOOO wrong!" [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Wonder what it would turn out like if I boiled it?
    Maybe if I brought the water temp up slowly it wouldn't burst? [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I just got one of those myself, Lee. Heat stress can cause egg issues as well as molting. I happen to have seven brand new layers so I figure it was from one of them.

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    None of my layers are new, and nobody is molting, but it is hot Cyn, hotter here than where you are.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Lorelei, the SLW we just lost, had an episode last summer when she began laying ones like you have there, plus sometimes, just the contents in the nest with no membrane or shell. She lost lots of weight then, too, just like recently before her passing, and worried us sick. She was just going into a very hard molt, though I hadn't noticed it till she had quit trying to lay. She stopped for just two weeks, dropped tons of feathers, then started back again. Last summer, as you recall, was really bad. I have a feeling we're in for it again this year, maybe worse. Heat stress will definitely do that to hens-I researched it last summer quite a bit. Just keep the fresh cold water flowing for them and run fans and watch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by