Complicated batch hatching

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I have a problem, what would you do? It is a self inflicted problem lol, as I couldn't help myself from cramming eggs in my incubator. I have a large incubator that holds 48 eggs, the brinsea 40 that I was planning to use to hatch some goose eggs. While I was waiting to source those goose eggs, I started some chicken eggs in the incubator because I didn't want to miss that opportunity. When I managed to get the 12 goose eggs, I moved the chicken eggs to my other cheap incubator. I don't usually have good hatches in it, but I didn't want to risk ruining the eggs from the higher humidity of the goose incubator. This is also the first time I'm running the cheap incubator with no water in the well in the center, since I suspect, my bad hatches are from drounding chicks during lockdown. My theory is that not enough water is allowed leave the egg before lockdown, so I thought I would incubate them in a dry incubator this time.

Then as time when on I added more eggs two more times, a week apart roughly, stacking them into the cheap incubator as I still didn't want to miss the opportunity . I have 3 different expected hatch dates for the chicken eggs. They all look to be growing well. Hatch dates are for sep 4, sep 10, and sep 15.
IMG_20220828_090140.jpg
IMG_20220828_090204.jpg
I'm perplexed on what to do for lock down and hatching.

1. Do I move the soon to hatch eggs in with the goose eggs as the humidity is higher? And stop turning the goose eggs until the chicken eggs hatch? Then resume turning the goose eggs?

2. Do I put them in with the goose eggs and keep the turner on for hatching?

3.Do I move the eggs that aren't ready to hatch in with the goose eggs? And let the hatching eggs hatch in the small incubator which doesn't have a turner, but I will increase the humidity as recommended.

I just finished a weird hatch in my Brinsea Octagon where the first chick hatched a full five days before the rest. Then it was a trickle every day of the next five days for a total of 10 chicks. All healthy. I kept the humidity above 65 for those 5 days. Here are the actual fluffs.

Attachments

• BC661795-E793-4C2A-AC95-9AC7A8885BCE.jpeg
    BC661795-E793-4C2A-AC95-9AC7A8885BCE.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom