1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Complicated worming question/need help, please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Nov 20, 2010.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    For me, my worming issues are confusing and I need help.

I have seven 9 month old pullets that I wormed with Wazine this past July. Two weeks after that I wormed them with an Ivermectin powder that I bought from a bird vet. The pullets seemed to have gape worms at that time. The powder was mixed in water, very hard to disolve, and they drank this mixture for five days. The gape worm symptoms went away.

Three weeks ago my BR began to squeak, then sneeze/cough. Day before yesterday, she started barking and yesterday she began to stretch out her neck and open her mouth along with shaking her head. She has not had any nasal discharge and her eyes are clear. She was eating okay until today. This morning she was barking every 15 seconds and stretching her neck out to breath. None of the other pullets have any of her symptoms.

I gave her a BB size serving of Zemectrin Gold which is Ivermectin with something extra to kill tapeworms. She is now barking maybe once a minute or less. She pooped tonight and two 2" long roundworms were in her poop.

I'm hoping her problem is internal parasites and this morning's treatment will solve this.

I'm thinking I need to worm the other chickens and I would like to use 5 drops of 5% Ivermectin pour on, the blue liquid used for cattle. I'm concerned about the load of roundworms and wonder if I should use Wazine first. I've read that if the chickens have been wormed within the last six months I can just go ahead with Ivermectin. Is this true?

If I need to worm with Wazine first, can I do this in a week or so and not remove the BR from the coop? Would it hurt her to also drink the Wazine water?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    PM dawg 53 he's the expert on worming

3. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend you go ahead and use ivermectin pour on with all your chickens, except your Barred Rock hen. Since you just used Zimectrin Gold on her, reworm her in 10 days with ivermectin pour on. Zimectrin Gold is a good wormer with ivermectin and praziquantel in it. The praziquantel kills tapeworms. When using ivermectin pour on, make sure you get the drops on the bare skin on the back of the neck because it absorbs quickly into the skin. Try not to get it on the feathers or down. Five drops is ok. Reworm all your chickens in 6 months with Zimectrin Gold, 6 months later...use the ivermectin pour on. Then you might add Safeguard paste (fenbendazole) for the next wormer and into your wormer rotation...you'll be good to go then!

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:I recommend you go ahead and use ivermectin pour on with all your chickens, except your Barred Rock hen. Since you just used Zimectrin Gold on her, reworm her in 10 days with ivermectin pour on. Zimectrin Gold is a good wormer with ivermectin and praziquantel in it. The praziquantel kills tapeworms. When using ivermectin pour on, make sure you get the drops on the bare skin on the back of the neck because it absorbs quickly into the skin. Try not to get it on the feathers or down. Five drops is ok. Reworm all your chickens in 6 months with Zimectrin Gold, 6 months later...use the ivermectin pour on. Then you might add Safeguard paste (fenbendazole) for the next wormer and into your wormer rotation...you'll be good to go then!

I just sent you a PM. Thanks so much! I will follow your advice. Just checked my pullet. She "barked" once during the three minutes I stood outside the coop. She didn't eat much today. It will be interesting to check her droppings in the morning. Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by