1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Composite sheds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mr.Dad, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    I'm thinking about using a composite shed for our coop.....is this as predator safe as a wood one or can they be chewed through too easy.....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. Mr.Dad

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    You know the heavy molded hollow plastic type stuff...

I figured it would be easy to clean....easy to set up and modify....and I can get one that's about 8X8 for less than $500 on clearance.....

I just don't want something to chew threw it and get the chickens...I'm not sure how well the predators are at chewing through things to get chickens....

Anybody?

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    my 1.5 cents worth:

I'd say go for it. Maybe do some experiments to see how easily you can scratch / cut through it yourself and compare to regular plywood or other materials you've heard are "predator proof". If I had the stuff available I'd use it and watch my coop closely from day to day for signs of scratching / gnawing.

What type of predators are you going to have to protect against? The worst things we have here are coons and opossums.

Hopefully there are some members that have experience with this stuff.

4. Mr.Dad

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Thanks NC......

I was told that a weasle may have gotten my two chickens we lost recently....but I'm still not sure what it was exactly....a weasle concerns me because I think it would take less work to gain access when compared to a coon or a possum etc which it could have been as well.....

I'm going to go for it...and like you said keep a close eye on things.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by