Compost and poultry?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ben is a terror, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I started a compost pile in my chicken run. Is there anything I can't put in there?

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    In addition to the obvious things that you wouldn't want to put in a compost pile such as meat products, I don't put anything that is considered toxic to chickens because when I turn the compost, they love to get in there and help me. And the thing is full of bugs and worms.

So no raw potato, no part of an avocado and no pits from peaches, nectarines or apricots (the inside of the pit has a toxic seed in there and I'm afraid they might get to that if it really dried out and opened).

I also avoid yard trimmings that are toxic to chickens such as tomato plants, Japanese Anemone, Foxglove and thorny things like rose bush trimmings. Don't want the girls to step on thorns and get bumble foot.

3. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    coffee grounds?

4. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I put coffee grounds in mine. And LOTS I'm embarrassed to add.

That stuff gets mixed up into the rest of the compost so quickly that I'm not worried about them being able to eat the coffee grounds in any quantity.

5. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I read that citrus was bad

6. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    If memory serves me correct, citrus can make the hens lay thin shelled eggs. So it's not toxic to them. But it's not good for them. I put citrus in my compost because it breaks down so quickly and I really don't see them going for it in the compost when I turn it. They are really focused on the bugs and worms.

And when I finish turning the compost, I make sure I quickly go through any that is left for them to scratch in to make sure there are no big chunks of anything left over that they may peck at.

7. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Thank you [​IMG] Is there a good place to find out what plants are toxic to poultry ( chickens , ducks, geese,)

8. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Check this list out:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

It's not complete but it's a real good start.

And the more I read, it seems like things that are toxic to dogs and/or cats are also toxic to birds so anytime I hear about something being toxic, I add it to the list, whether or not I know for certain that it is to chickens. There are just too many things out there that are safe for them that are fine in my garden.

And if you plant a few things for them specifically, I think that helps keep them away from other things. Mine love parsley, gabara daisy's and wheat grass. I also buy spinach by the bundle and give them all the stems roughly chopped and they LOVE carrot tops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by