compost barrel

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by kardar2, Mar 2, 2014.

1. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Hello all,
    Last year I tried to make my own composting barrel but it failed so I am wanting to buy a commercial made one.I am looking at the Sylvan Patio-Back Yard Barrel. From Sears but I does not say how many cubic feet it holds. The price is what I am looking at. I would be nice if I could afford The more expensive ONE. I live on a city lot so piles with pallets will not do for me. But I want a good composer that won't break. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    A compost pile needs to be at least a square yard or bigger in order to build up enough heat to be effective. Can you build an enclosure out of any material that would be more esthetically pleasing to you? What about doing a pallet style enclosure and planting some kind of plant screen around it? Do you have a veggie garden? How big is it? Some people sheet or trench compost right in their gardens. It's an effective method, and puts the material where it will be used. You can do a trench compost between 2 rows or beds in your veggie garden.

3. kardar2

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    I went a head and bought a lifetime 65 gal. Tumbler. The reviews looked good. It makes 8.7 yards of compost.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    8.7 yards in one batch? Or in one season? That's impressive. You should enjoy it. I'm gonna have to google it, but only for entertainment, as I have plenty of space to start lots of slow heaps, and I put most of my stuff directly in the garden anyways. I don't have any neighbors close enough to even notice my compost, and even if they did, they wouldn't complain.

5. kardar2

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
  6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THis is a great idea for a neat pile of compost. I best the barrel hold much of hte heat and with the regular turning it decomposes fast. I would sugest not emptiying it completely but leave some starter material to innoculate the next batch-- likely to decompose faster. KEep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by