1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Compost pile at end of chicken run/ predators?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CAjerseychick, Sep 21, 2012.

1. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Quick query, have been piling up used straw and chicken poop from the coop in a corner I sectioned off with ag wire just outside of my chicken run-- want to start adding scraps (peels, stuff that is too moldy for them to eat, paper/other biodegradebales that has food waste on it, etc..) but am concerned that it might start attracting possums and raccoons...
    Dont really want to move pile farther away for ease of coop cleaning, also we wont compost as much if it is a huge hassle to get to the pile....
    Any advice/input would be appreciated (dogs are loose at night, chickens are locked up tight in their coop...), thanks

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you don't put meat in the pile and keep it covered and turned there should not be any foragers bothering it.

Chris

3. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    OK thanks ( I think there is some old mac n cheese that was hidden under the peelings this AM...)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by