Compost Pile??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hillschicks, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    We are thinking of starting a compost pile and allowing our chickens to "help"... Basically a place to put food scraps, coop cleanings, garden weeds, and whatever else comes about and allow the chickens to enjoy digging the worms out of it turning it in the process...

My questions are should it be in a sunny area, or a shaded area, or doesnt it matter??? And will it smell bad??

The area i have in mind wouldnt get but an hour or two of direct sunlight a day, and it is about 40 yards from our "family area" (table, fire pit, kid swings)

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    we do this all the time! its great !chickens are great helpers! no it hasnt smell at all. ours is in the sun

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Great that you are composting! I do that as well. There are tons of threads on BYC on the topic! Type in the word 'compost' into the BYC search and enjoy the reading!

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Our compost is in direct light half of the time, the only smell that comes from it is a green smell. I love it, my girls get in and dig and do whatever they do. I even had one last year that liked to just hang out and nap in the compost pile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by