Compost question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Nov 19, 2009.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Is it ok to put leftover cracked corn and scratch remnants and BOSS in the compost or will they sprout or anything?

See, when I rake over the chicken run just to tidy it up a bit....am I supposed to scoop that up and put it in the compost or do what with it?

Thanks

2. spammy

spammy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    put it in, if it sprouts turn it over.

3. karsan

karsan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    I am sure it will be OK in the compost. What sort of compost is it? Things sometimes sprout in my covered compost, but the sprouts then die for lack of light or other reasons and become compost material. If is an open compost and they sprout, you can just turn it. Or the sprouts will die when you put new stuff on. Or you could give the sprouts to the chickens.

4. cockadoodle

cockadoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Denver
    I probably have 25 potato plants growing in my compost pile, my wife always just tosses in entire potatos, pumpkins, carrots, etc.. I stopped caring a while ago, it's just compost [​IMG] I should probably flip the pile a bit more frequently though.

Mark

5. hermiesbirdies

hermiesbirdies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    cracked corn wont sprout. you have the "seed" already busted up. any kernels that didnt get cracked, or anything else that is a whole seed, might sprout, but it wouldnt look like a hill with a burgeoning forest on it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by