Compost Tumbler

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jaydweight, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
  2. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Oh, that's awesome! Keep us posted on how it works for you. I've been wanting a tumbler but Lordy, they're expensive!

3. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    compost needs, moisture, oxygen and heat.

So pile it up, water it and turn it. I don't have a tumbler, but it looks like it makes the turning easier. It's very small though, you can't really get that much compost in there.

I have three, 1 meter cubed bins made out of scrap lumber, pallets and corrugated plastic roofing, they do me fine.

4. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Quote:They sure are! I saw one at Costco and it was something like $300! Not spending that much when I've got all the materials on hand to make one of these. [​IMG]

5. PropsToMyPeeps

PropsToMyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    I can't wait to see how it turns out. I love my pallet compost bin, but would love a tumbler even more.

6. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    The tumbler at our Costco is $100 bucks. We have a store here caled Fred Meyer and their is $100 also. It seems about the same size as these drums here. Im really thinking about getting one myself.
    My husband took a picture of it for me..LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    i have one i bought when our menard's opened - they had it on sale for 70 bucks - i have had it full of "stuff" for awhile - so here's hoping it works - it is almost kinda fun to turn the drum lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by