Compost with a medley of chickens on top!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mary Poopins, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Mary Poopins

Mary Poopins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Hello!
    My chickens have been taking a lot of interest in my compost bin recently.
    Normally I wouldn’t be worried but this compost bin is less than a year old and I had a rocky start with it because the area is so dry.....
    I am just worried that they may get sick.
    Most of the bin seems to be fully composted and we bury the scraps pretty deep so they aren’t unearthing anything that is rotten.
    Honestly I am not sure what they are getting except little bugs which probably should be left alone.
    Actually, since they have been doing this the compost has been looking amazing.
    I a truly impressed with what they have done.
    What do you all think?
    Should I keep them from the bin or do they know best?
    Thanks in advance
    Mary

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Let them at the bin! My chickens tend to get into bits of bad things in there, including coffee grounds and moldy bread, but the birds who dig in the compost actually seem healthier than the birds that don't.

3. Mary Poopins

Mary Poopins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Hello HeartMoss Farm,

Thank you for your reply.

Non of the girls seem like the compost is making them sick, which is why I haven't stopped them.

They are turning it over which is nice because I don't have to.....

I suppose they are being introduced to things that they wouldn't otherwise which as a positive is helping their immune systems.

So all in all it's a win-win....

Thank you again
    ~Mary

4. TulsaChick

TulsaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Shoot. I brought my compost from the pile and tossed it on top of the garden. After they were one, it was all turned and folded into the soil perfectly!

5. keepmumsane

keepmumsane Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    featherston
    I tend to dump my compost in a pile and let the chicky babes toss it around like french chorus girls doing a can can .... they love helping in the garden

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Nothing but good can come from letting your girls work in your compost! They'll more than make up for what they eat by leaving chicken bombs!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They won't get sick eating anything from your compost bin. We as humans like to apply human standard of food to our chickens, when in reality chickens are designed to eat less-than-fresh foods. They can eat scraps that are decomposing and be just fine. They'll turn the pile for you and add high nitrogen fertilizer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by