Composting chicken poo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Italian Chicken, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Italian Chicken

Italian Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011
    Has anyone tried to compost coop material, and if so did you add anything to help the process? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I add plenty of browns. Wood shavings, old hay, shredded paper, pine needles. I usually use pine needles or rice hulls, a lot of alfalfa hay, although that is a green so needs more browns. I have free pine needles so lots of those get added.
    I just cleaned out a Rubbermaid tote yesterday, will add some water and more pine needles, turn and stir several times over the next 4-8 weeks and it will be perfect.

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Umm well I don’t know about the composting process but I just take my chicken poop and the straw bedding and put it in my garden around my plants it helps a lot

4. Rania

Rania New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
    I have a big compost pile and i just add the poo and pine shavings to my layers of veggies, coffee and grass/weed trimmings. I try not to pout too much of the straw/pine shavings and make sure i have an even balance of everything. But as much poo as possible for sure! Poo is the #1 ingredient!

5. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I mix it with household scraps, garden greens/lawn clippings, and tons of shredded newspaper my husband brings home from work. It makes great soil. The poo is very high in nitrogen, so you can add a ton of wood, paper, etc to the pile. Your plants will love it.

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    We do DLM and put the shavings and poop directly on the garden (and around trees) twice a year.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:X2

8. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:I was just talking about starting to compost the poop the other day, I was thinking of getting a little composter that turns, but seeing your post I think I will start with a rubbermaid tote. Do you have to drill holes in the bottom for drainage and also do the darker color totes work better.

9. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    Quote:Us too. Deep Litter Method is great because the poo and shavings compost in the chicken house and add warmth during the winter, then in the spring you can clean everything out and you have beautifully composted chicken manure to spread on your garden.

[​IMG] Just be careful not to put "raw" poo on your plants. Too much nitrogen in the fresh poo--it can burn your plants big time.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    lorain's fids :

I was just talking about starting to compost the poop the other day, I was thinking of getting a little composter that turns, but seeing your post I think I will start with a rubbermaid tote. Do you have to drill holes in the bottom for drainage and also do the darker color totes work better.

Yes, it needs to drain. I think you will find a Rubbermaid tote too small. Some containment (sides) is a good idea, but the truth is you can just make a pile in a corner somewhere, too. Those turning composters would speed up the process, but I'd never put that kind of money into composting.

I'm sure if you went over to one of our sister sites, TheEasyGarden.com (link also at the bottom of the Index page) you could read plenty on composting readily.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by