1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Composting chicken poo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattee, Jun 13, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Anyone?
    I'm going to get a compost started and my husband asked can you compost pine shavings??? [​IMG]
    I'd never thought about that...
    [​IMG]

2. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    good question...I sure hope so because I've been putting it in my compost pile when I clean the brooder...I hope someone knows.

3. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I compost my pine shavings with no problems. I do sprinkle a bit of agricultural lime on the pile to offset the acidity of the shavings add keep odors to a minimum. [​IMG]

4. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I compost EVERYTHING!! [​IMG]

The vegetarian furry kids' poo, the tortoise's, the snakes' bedding and lizards' too! And now, I even throw in the chickens' stuff ...poo and hay, etc. Also, the vegetable matter from the kitchen and the egg shells, tea and coffee grinds, etc.

The only thing I have to be careful of is the bug quantity in the compost pile ...cuz Joob, my Red Foot tortoise likes the bugs and will dig herself into the middle and have a buffet! [​IMG] And yes, she is very well fed ...she just likes her "crunchy and slimey snacks"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by